Friday, December 02, 2005

Looking all around me...

I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine a few days ago about the world we live in, and what we see in it. Because every one of us lives in the same world as such, but what we see and percieve in the people and things around us is what makes us who we are.

So what do I see? What is MY world?

Right now, sitting in my room, I see my textbooks lying in the corner, the shruti box on the table next to me. I see a closet overflowing with clothes. In the next room, I can hear the maid (Valli) singing some old tamil song. My world right now.

In the afternoon, a friend had come home and the two of us spent the afternoon on the terrace up on the tank. Amazing weather, beautiful wind. Futile attempts to study organic chemistry. (My terrace, for those of you who don't know overlooks the backwaters of the Adyar River...the estuary that is. It's quite lovely.) We gave up after a while, and just sat (wishing for cyclone) and gazed out at the water, the wind, the crows. My world then.

What did I see? I saw beauty, I saw nature. I felt happy, at peace with the world. I saw children from the slum playing in the wind, contemplating the prospects of rain. I saw the grown-up people from the slum looking worriedly at the sky. And suddenly I felt confused, scared.

Its nice for people like me, sitting warm in their homes to appreciate the beauty of the rain. Personally, I LOVE getting wet in the rain. But would I like it if I was forced to? I doubt it.

Suddenly, in the same place that I had seen such beauty a few seconds before, I saw poverty. I didn't know what to think, to feel.

7 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Blogger Sthupit Girl said...

i second dhruva's thoughts. Damn good post.

 
At 2:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you always this melodramatic?
do you always have to find something sad to feel? or should you just enjoy.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger sykora said...

I think the word is 'Maudlin', not 'Melodramatic'

And that's my job.

Good post anyhow.

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger divya said...

i think both maudlin and melodramatic are huge over statements...i wud rather call it practicality...
we often restrict our vision to the more glamourous snaps of the world...im glad you wrote beyond 'that' sight...well written thoughts there...cheers!

 
At 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ayayay! whats wrong with u people??? enjoy life as it is cuz it may not last very long yeah? and i ll say cheers for this!

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Vishal 'Tommy' Thomas said...

cheers... brilliant post.. dhruva got it right... its sad social workers are hardly ever appreciated.. they are after all just tryin to lessen the burden on those of us who r less fortunate..

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Saranya said...

Nice post Aditi....
Something to think about...

And check out my blog sometime tomorrow...just created it,and will be putting up a post later..Its http://www.saranya88.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home